South Carolina OMK Website
South Carolina Operation: Military Kids (OMK) is part of the National OMK initiative designated to provide support to the children and youth of families that are impacted by global contingency operations. This includes those served by Army installations, Air Force, Navy and Marine bases, and those families, children and youth who are geographically dispersed.
Building upon their past collaboration to support youth development programs, 4-H and its military partners are now placing special emphasis on the children and youth of National Guard and Reserve Solders.
Many National Guard and Reserves children do not view themselves as 'military' until their parent's deployment. Their parent has a civilian job and is a citizen soldier with a commitment to the military and our country. The situation created by a deployment places unique stress on the youth and their families.
- OMK Creates community support networks for military youth “in our own backyard” when military parents are deployed.
- OMK Promotes awareness of the public on the impact of the deployment cycle on military, families, kids and the community as a whole.
- OMK Supports military kids coping with the stress of knowing their deployed parents may be in harms way.
- OMK Collaborates with schools to ensure that staff is attuned to the unique needs of military students.
- OMK Delivers educational, recreational and social programs for military youth living in civilian communities.
- OMK Becomes a part of the ongoing deployment support services for military children and youth.
- OMK Builds community capacity to support geographically dispersed military families and children.
REQUEST HELP FROM OMK FORM
View the 2011 South Carolina Report
Working together we can all have a strong
impact on military families in our own backyard!
South Carolina OMK Local/Regional Support Network (L/RSN) selected for funding! Two regions selected are GLNS (Greenwood, Laurens, Newberry Saluda Counties) and Florence/Darlington Counties. Our plans are to provide more local support opportunities for military children/youth affected by the deployment of a parent and build the capacity within these communities to continue providing support.
Other OMK Contact Information:
OMK Program and Technology Assistant - Local Resource Support Network Coord
201 East Church Street Saluda, SC 29138
864-993-1711 email: email@example.com
Alma L. Harris, M.A.
Clemson University Extension Service
300 Russell St; Room 222
Darlington, SC 29532
OMK Web Manager
SC Department of Natural Resources Family Fishing Clinic, Reel Kids & Reel Art (Available upon request if scheduling permits) (SL)
American Red Cross Exploring Humanitarian Law, (available when schedule permits) (BB)
Character Counts Training (BB)
Deliberative Dialogue: Violent Kids, The Energy Problem, etc. (Issues available to discuss) BB.
SET Programs: Photography, Robotics, GIS/GPS Mapping (SL)