Colorado's Operation: Military Kids mission is to support military children and youth before, during, and after the deployment of a loved one.
We need YOU! Consider speaking out for military kids. Here's an opportunity to hang out with other kids who share your life experiences: moving, making new friends and leaving best friends behind, concern for military parents...You are sure to make new lifelong friends when you work together with other military teens. If interested, please contact the Shauna Woods, firstname.lastname@example.org on how to participate in activities with other military kids. And thank you for your service at home in helping to keep America safe and free.
Colorado Operation: Military Kids provides support for military kids through:
- Hero Packs
- Hero Packs are given to military kids who have a loved one deployed to thank them for their service and courage. These packs are distributed at various events, including MOB briefings, holiday parties and other youth activities.
- Speak Out for Military Kids (SOMK)
- SOMK is a speaker’s bureau where youth are given the opportunity to speak out about having a loved one deployed. Retreats are held throughout the year to train youth to speak out and to allow them to have fun with other military youth. SOMK participants are available to speak at various community organizations and events, including school functions, scout meetings, American Legion conventions and more.
- Mobile Technology Lab (MTL)
- The MTL is a lab that travels in our state and is available at events for military kids to stay connected to their deployed loved one. The MTL is can be used in a variety of ways, including to create videos, SOMK presentations, greeting cards and more.
- Ready, Set, Go! Training
- Our OMK Team of professionals from around the state go out to community groups, schools and conferences to help build awareness around the issues that military youth face. At these trainings participants learn about the deployment cycle, how kids are affected by deployment and ways that they can help support military youth.
- Babysitting Training - Consier requesting this free training for your school or community. The objectives of the program are:
- To familiarize teens with the responsibilities of babysitting
- Provide the necessary information, skills and techniques for teens to become competent, caring, trustworthy and responsible sitters
Help teens develop the confidence needed to handle situations that could happen when they babysit
Help teens develop a positive attitude about the care of children, and
Prepare teens for the business aspects of babysitting
"Serving military families in our own backyard"