For more information on Operation: Military Kids in Kansas, please contact:
Ann Domsch, OMK Project Coordinator at email@example.com (785) 532-2276(785) 532-2276 or
Elaine Johannes, State Military Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org
When National Guard, Army Reserve and other military parents living in civilian communities are mobilized, their children have unique needs for special support and services. Now they are "military kids" but they still look the same to teachers, friends and the rest of the community. Their lives are turned upside down! Many of their usual support systems may no longer be adequate. That is why an Operation: Military Kids Team was formed.
Kansas Operation: Military Kids provides support for military kids through the following elements:
- Sustain the Meadowlark Extension District's Community-support network through partnerships with local schools, Extension Groups and parent engagement organizations.
- Establish networks of support and communication in the southeast and northwest areas of Kansas, through linkages to schools parent engagment organizations.
- Sustain school-based support groups at schools with high concentrations of military-connected youth. Two schools in Manhattan of which 67% of the student population are military connected.
- Youth Activities - OMK holds many youth activities throughout the year to provide support for military kids. You can find OMK holding day camps, workshops, military family days, and many others. Activities may include using the MTL, making crafts, playing games, having fun in a classroom, and a variety of other activities that allow kids to grow and learn.
- Ready, Set, Go! Training - Professionals around the state go out to community groups, schools and conferences to help build awareness around the issues that military youth face. At these trainings participants learn about the deployment cycle, how kids are affected by deployment and ways that they can help support military youth.
View our 2011 Annual Report
The Kansas Operation: Military Kids team is composed of representatives from the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Army Reserve, Boys and Girls Club, American Legion, Kansas Department of Education, K-State Research and Extension - 4-H Youth Development, at K-State Research and Extension - School of Family Studies and Human Services, Elaine Johannes, at Ft. Leavenworth, the School Liaison Officer, Jessica Bruchwood - Jessica,email@example.com at Fort Riley, Eric Childs, firstname.lastname@example.org, the School Liaison at McConnell Air Force Base, Angela Edwards, Angela.email@example.com