Active Duty Air Force Age Limit
Like the other branches of the military, the minimum and maximum age you can join the Air Force will depend on which career path you take. (ie officer or enlisted)
Here are the minimum and maximum age limit for the Air Force in 2019:
- Enlisted: The minimum age to join as an enlisted is 17, and the maximum age is 39.
- Officer: The minimum age to join as an officer is 18, and the maximum age is 39.
Exceptions are made for those with healthcare experience, attorneys, clergy, and prior military enlistment, and requires a waiver.
In this scenario, the minimum age is 18 and the maximum age is 48.
Air Force Reserve Age Limit
To join the Air Force reserve, the age requirements are as follows:
- Non-prior service: 17 – 39 years old
- Prior service: Your adjusted age must be less than 40. *
* How To Calculate Your Adjusted Age
For prior service Air Force reserve candidates, your adjusted age must be less than 40 years old.
You can calculate this by simply subtracting your years of service from your age.
So for example, if you served for 10 years in the active duty Air Force, and you’re 48 years old, your “Adjusted Age” would be 38.
This would make you qualified to serve in the Air Force reserves.
Related Article: Does The National Guard Pay For College?
Pilot Age Requirements / Limit
Just like with the height and weight requirements, there are different age limitations for pilots.
While the minimum age for pilots is 18, it’s very uncommon for a pilot to be that young.
The average age for Air Force pilots entering flight school is around 23 years old.
Before earning a slot at Undergraduate Pilot Training (aka UPT), the candidate must first meet with a selection board.
This board will determine whether or not you’re competitive enough for a slot in UPT, and must be conducted before you reach 29 years of age.
You must also be enrolled in UPT before the age of 30.
With that said, age waivers are available for potential pilots up to the age of 35.
I realize all of this might be a little confusing, so here’s a handy chart which sums it all up in general:
|Age (Min. - Max)||Weight (Min. - Max)||Height (Min. - Max)||Sitting Height (Min. - Max.)|
|Officer (non-pilot)||18 - 39 yrs. old||91 - 250 lbs.||58 - 80 inches||N/A|
|Enlisted (non-pilot)||17 - 39 yrs. old||91 - 250 lbs.||58 - 80 inches||N/A|
|Pilot / Navigator||18 - 28 1/2 yrs. old *||160 - 231 lbs.||64 - 77 inches||34 - 40 inches|
* Age waivers up to 35 years old
- Air Force Materiel Management (2S0X1): Career Profile - January 16, 2020
- Air Force Munitions Systems (2W0X1): Career Profile - January 16, 2020
- US Air Force Client Systems Technician (3D1X1): Career Details - December 2, 2019