Semax is a peptide that performs double duty.
It’s an effective nootropic that not only protects your brain but also provides a spark to cognitive performance.
As a result, men and women of all ages are enjoying the numerous benefits of the peptide.
Interested? Discover 8 things to know about Semax peptide, below:
Table of Contents
Semax Peptide: 8 Things To Know
Nootropics generally serve a couple of different purposes: 1) protect the brain and 2) offer an immediate boost to mental performance.
However, it’s rare to find a nootropic that is capable of providing both to a user.
Semax is different from many other peptides in that it can simultaneously accomplish both tasks.
For this reason, Semax has gained attention thanks to its neuroprotective and neurorestorative properties.
The peptide is associated with treating various conditions including stroke, poor memory, transient ischemic attacks, and cognitive disorders.
Additionally, some individuals advocate its use as a potential treatment for ADHD, depression, and anxiety.
Therefore, it’s important to learn things about Semax peptide, such as:
- How Does It Work
- Semax Benefits
- Anxiety & Stress
- Recovery from Stroke
- How to Use
- Side Effects
- Semax Results
Today, the peptide is more popular in places like Russia and Ukraine, however, it’s beginning to receive mainstream attention in North America and elsewhere.
Discover 8 important things to know about Semax peptide:
What is the purpose of Semax?
The synthetic peptide derives from a short fragment of the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH).1
Medical experts believe that ACTH plays an important role in controlling stress and anxiety levels.
ACTH also plays a significant role in cognition and behavior as first examined in the 1950s under the leadership of David de Wied.
Regardless, the instability of the human body and the short duration of ACTH inspired Russian scientists to develop a synthetic alternative.
As a result, Semax was produced to offer a safe and effective way to manage stress while also receiving a boost to cognitive performance.
The peptide replicates the effects of ACTH while delivering much longer-lasting benefits (more details, below).
Today, the peptide is commonly used in Russia yet has taken much longer to get recognized here in the United States.
It’s unfortunate considering that Semax has been around for nearly a half-century and has multiple clinical studies (see, below) to support its use.
Semax users insist that the peptide does wonders for reducing anxiety and worries while significantly improving memory and cognitive function.
Furthermore, the peptide has been studied as a potential remedy for many cognitive disorders, including ADHD.2
It’s also a well-known treatment for recovering from a stroke or transient ischemic attack.
Even better, Semax presents many protective qualities including offering a major boost to the immune system.
Despite it, the peptide has not yet been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
#2. How Does It Work
Semax is one of the most widely researched peptides on the market.
The synthetic version of ACTH has been around for nearly 50 years in Russia and evaluated extensively.
Consequently, the results from multiple clinical studies have determined that Semax not only works but produces few side effects (more details, below).
Enkephalins are naturally released neurotransmitters said to play a pivotal role in regulating multiple biological functions.
The neurotransmitters are linked to reduced inflammation, decreased pain, and improved immune system function.
Moreover, the peptide inhibits other peptide-degrading secreted enzymes allowing the brain to recover from a multitude of afflictions.4
In fact, Semax is attributed to producing higher levels of dopamine, or the “feel-good hormone.”5
And, when combined with increased levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and nerve growth factor (NGF), does wonders for managing stress and anxiety.6 7
Furthermore, BDNF is associated with improving memory, focus, problem-solving skills, and the ability to absorb new information in the brain.
The biggest advantage to Semax is that the synthetic version does not break down nearly as quickly in the body as natural ACTH.
Accordingly, even first-time users generally notice a difference and are sold enough to continue using the brain-enhancing peptide.
#3. Semax Benefits
Semax peptide features numerous benefits to brain health.
First, the enhanced cognition leads to improved focus and concentration.
Secondly, most users of Semax report substantial improvements in memory capacity and recall.8
Third, the ability to problem-solve and learn new information is usually enhanced.
Fourth, Semax is also attributed to improving behavioral and emotional responses in humans.
Accordingly, the peptide is associated with reduced anxiety, stress, and improved mood.
There are some users who also report experiencing a better night’s rest and more rewarding sleeping habits.
Semax may also prevent cognitive decline over time and potentially serve as treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) in the future.
For now, the primary benefit of Semax is the ability to restore cognitive function and maintain brain health with age.
While it’s not entirely known how the peptide works in the brain, Semax does increase levels of NGF and BDNF.
The peptide is one of the most extensively studied with more than 4 decades of research both in the United States (and even more in Russia).
Even better, the research is far from complete as many experts believe that Semax could one day help with:
- Alcohol and Opioid Withdrawals
- Treatment for Peptic Ulcers
- Immune System Booster
- Treatment for ADHD
- Treatment for Eye Conditions
- Recovery from Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Be that as it may, more research is necessary to reach a firm conclusion on how Semax may treat many of these conditions.
Nevertheless, the initial results from Semax are promising and should encourage more human clinical trials in the near future.
#4. Anxiety & Stress
First and foremost, the biggest advantage of using Semax is the opportunity to reduce stress and anxiety.
Reduced levels of BDNF and NGF are associated with high anxiety and depression.
However, the ability of Semax to restore BDNF levels makes it a prime candidate as an anti-anxiety supplement.
Even better, countless testimonies and customer reviews indicate that Semax really works when it comes to curbing depression.
In fact, many report the same positive, uplifting euphoria of Vyvanse or Adderall yet without the same dangerous side effects or consequences.
Then, there is the reality that Semax may be the much-needed answer to attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).9
Moreover, studies have found that the peptide reduces pain and swelling in a safe and effective way in animals.10
As a result, it’s easy to understand why many believe Semax is one of the best nootropics for stress, anxiety, pain, and depression.
Unfortunately, the Western world hasn’t quite caught up to these groundbreaking results which makes human clinical trials warranted.
#5. Recovery from Stroke
There is optimism that Semax will provide treatment for several different conditions in the future.
In the past, the peptide has been extensively studied as a means of recovering from a stroke.11
Ischemic strokes are the most common (approximately 87% of all strokes) yet the type that Semax provides the most relief from.
These strokes are caused by a blockage in an artery that supplies blood to the brain.
Unfortunately, if the blockage is not resolved it leads to permanent brain damage.
Notwithstanding, the clinical trial found that early use of Semax can prevent much of this brain damage and help restore the body to its former self.
Indeed, the peptide is known to improve blood flow which helps reduce the risk of a future stroke, as well.12
Russia was the first country to apply for a Semax patent specifically for combating strokes.
And, future studies could help make this a reputable treatment for people in the States, too.
#6. How to Use
There are varying accounts as to what is the proper dose and administer cycle for Semax.
In general, most agree that it’s best to start with a lower dosage and gradually work up to a normal regime.
Semax is best administered by using drops that fall into each nostril, 1 – 2x per day.
For starters, most begin with 50mcg per nostril and consider expanding the dosage by the second week (try to avoid exceeding 500mcg).
Often, people seek to use Semax for 1 – 2 weeks and monitor results (along with any possible side effects).
The peptide is most effective when cycled on and off with at least a 4-week break between cycles.
Most users agree that Semax performs best on an empty stomach and should be taken first thing in the morning.
Unfortunately, the peptide can cause digestive issues or problems sleeping if consumed too late in the day.
Furthermore, the optimal dosage varies from person to person so it does take some experimentation to find what works for you.
Generally, dosage is determined by several factors including personal health, age, and weight.
New users should always consult with a qualified healthcare professional before beginning any new supplement.
It’s especially important if you already take other prescribed medications or have pre-existing health conditions.
Intranasal application is considered the easiest and most effective way to administer Semax yet some prefer subcutaneous injections.13
Regardless, be sure to avoid taking the peptide orally because it absorbs very poorly that way.
#7. Side Effects
Thankfully, Semax is not associated with any serious or dangerous side effects.
However, like any supplement, it’s possible to experience negative symptoms.
Often, the most common side effects of Semax include:
Additionally, it’s possible to experience a slight burning sensation in the nasal passages where the spray is administered.
Meanwhile, others may notice a mild mucus membrane irritation following use.
Nevertheless, most of these side effects are not severe and may disappear once the body adjusts to the peptide.
Those who are new to Semax should exercise caution when stacking the nootropic with other supplements.
Experts are divided regarding whether Semax is effective with other nootropics.
Despite it, some advocate pairing the peptide with Dihexa for even better results.
#8. Semax Results
Semax has largely been tested on animal subjects, like rats, in the past.14
Unfortunately, this is due to the limited response from American organizations like the FDA which continues to largely ignore the many benefits of peptides.
Nonetheless, the peptide has been extensively studied in Russia and Europe and also has many supporters in the United States.
Semax is a highly reputable nootropic that offers restorative properties along with a boost to mental clarity.15
And, even better, there are even more future potential benefits of Semax so long as the peptide continues to be examined.
The recent breakthroughs studying the peptide in the vascular system and blood circulation are encouraging.
They represent progress as the hope is that Semax can one day assist with stroke recovery, depression, ADHD, and many other conditions.
Semax is a groundbreaking peptide.
The compound has been studied for nearly the last half-century in Ruissa and has started to receive support over the last 20 years in the States.
The nootropic offers relief from a vast range of conditions including stress and anxiety, as well as mental clarity and focus.
Furthermore, there is hope that the peptide will help treat other conditions just as it has done with Ischemic strokes over the last few decades.
- Allen MJ, Sharma S. Physiology, Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) [Updated 2023 Aug 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan-. (source)
- Magnus W, Nazir S, Anilkumar AC, et al. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. [Updated 2023 Aug 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan-. (source)
- Henry MS, Gendron L, Tremblay ME, Drolet G. Enkephalins: Endogenous Analgesics with an Emerging Role in Stress Resilience. Neural Plast. 2017;2017:1546125. doi: 10.1155/2017/1546125. Epub 2017 Jul 11. PMID: 28781901; PMCID: PMC5525068. (source)
- Kost NV, Sokolov OIu, Gabaeva MV, Grivennikov IA, Andreeva LA, Miasoedov NF, Zozulia AA. Ingibiruiushchee deĭstvie semaksa i selanka na énkefalindegradiruiushchie fermenty syvorotki krovi cheloveka [Semax and selank inhibit the enkephalin-degrading enzymes from human serum]]. Bioorg Khim. 2001 May-Jun;27(3):180-3. Russian. doi: 10.1023/a:1011373002885. PMID: 11443939. (source)
- Bloomfield MA, McCutcheon RA, Kempton M, Freeman TP, Howes O. The effects of psychosocial stress on dopaminergic function and the acute stress response. Elife. 2019 Nov 12;8:e46797. doi: 10.7554/eLife.46797. PMID: 31711569; PMCID: PMC6850765. (source)
- Bathina S, Das UN. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and its clinical implications. Arch Med Sci. 2015 Dec 10;11(6):1164-78. doi: 10.5114/aoms.2015.56342. Epub 2015 Dec 11. PMID: 26788077; PMCID: PMC4697050. (source)
- Aloe L, Rocco ML, Balzamino BO, Micera A. Nerve Growth Factor: A Focus on Neuroscience and Therapy. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2015;13(3):294-303. doi: 10.2174/1570159×13666150403231920. PMID: 26411962; PMCID: PMC4812798. (source)
- Dornbush RL, Nikolovski O. ACTH 4-10 and short-term memory. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1976;5(Suppl 1):69-72. doi: 10.1016/0091-3057(76)90331-2. PMID: 189333. (source)
- Tsai SJ. Semax, an analogue of adrenocorticotropin (4-10), is a potential agent for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and Rett syndrome. Med Hypotheses. 2007;68(5):1144-6. doi: 10.1016/j.mehy.2006.07.017. Epub 2006 Sep 25. PMID: 16996699. (source)
- Ivanova DM, Vilenskiĭ DA, Levitskaya NG, Andreeva LA, Alfeeva LY, Kamenskiĭ AA, Miasoedov NF. Effect of Semax on changes in pain sensitivity and behavior of animals induced by forced swimming. Dokl Biol Sci. 2006 Mar-Apr;407:123-7. doi: 10.1134/s0012496606020037. PMID: 16739472. (source)
- Gusev EI, Skvortsova VI, Miasoedov NF, Nezavibat’ko VN, Zhuravleva EIu, Vanichkin AV. Effektivnost’ semaksa v ostrom periode polusharnogo ishemicheskogo insul’ta (klinicheskoe i élektrofiziologicheskoe issledovanie) [Effectiveness of semax in acute period of hemispheric ischemic stroke (a clinical and electrophysiological study)]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 1997;97(6):26-34. Russian. PMID: 11517472. (source)
- Gusev EI, Skvortsova VI, Chukanova EI. [Semax in prevention of disease progress and development of exacerbations in patients with cerebrovascular insufficiency]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2005;105(2):35-40. Russian. PMID: 15792140. (source)
- Manchenko DM, Glazova NIu, Levitskaia NG, Andreeva LA, Kamenskiĭ AA, Miasoedov NF. [Nootropic and analgesic effects of Semax following different routes of administration]. Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova. 2010 Oct;96(10):1014-23. Russian. PMID: 21268834. (source)
- Dolotov OV, Karpenko EA, Inozemtseva LS, Seredenina TS, Levitskaya NG, Rozyczka J, Dubynina EV, Novosadova EV, Andreeva LA, Alfeeva LY, Kamensky AA, Grivennikov IA, Myasoedov NF, Engele J. Semax, an analog of ACTH(4-10) with cognitive effects, regulates BDNF and trkB expression in the rat hippocampus. Brain Res. 2006 Oct 30;1117(1):54-60. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2006.07.108. Epub 2006 Sep 22. PMID: 16996037. (source)
- Asmarin IP, Nezavibat’ko VN, Miasoedov NF, Kamenskiĭ AA, Grivennikov IA, Ponomareva-Stepnaia MA, Andreeva LA, Kaplan AIa, Koshelev VB, Riasina TV. Nootropnyĭ analog adrenokortikotropina 4-10-semaks (15-letniĭ opyt razrabotki i izucheniia) [A nootropic adrenocorticotropin analog 4-10-semax (l5 years experience in its design and study)]. Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 1997 Mar-Apr;47(2):420-30. Russian. PMID: 9173745. (source)
- Pure Rawz Review: Legit Peptides & SARMS Or Fraud? - November 26, 2023
- American Flag With Circle Of Stars (Betsy Ross) Explained - November 23, 2023
- 20 Best Military War Movies Of All-Time - November 22, 2023