Specific projects to support military youth in Massachusetts include:
- Presenting free Ready, Set, Go! Workshops around the state to increase awareness of the impact of deployment on military youth and families.
- Serving as guest speakers at meetings throughout the state.
- Organizing and training teams of teens to Speak Out for Military Kids at school and local events along with working with local cable access to develop PSA’s.
- Packing and delivering Hero Packs to military youth to show our appreciation for their sacrifices. Youth and civic groups are encouraged to participate in writing letters and collecting items for the Hero Packs which are delivered to military youth through events such as youth deployment days, Family Readiness Group meetings, and school presentations.
- Providing support to local and state OMK partners such as the Boys & Girls Club and Family Readiness Groups to provide a variety of activities for youth across the state of Massachusetts from the Berkshires to the Cape.
- Running local OMK Networks to do this work in their own communities and build the local capacity for supporting military youth.
- Offering free trainings and materials to community members to support military youth and family activities.
If you would like to get involved, please use the contact information provided. The University of Massachusetts 4-H Program is coordinating OMK in Massachusetts and is seeking local partners to bring this effort into every community in the Commonwealth. We can never have too many hands!