Operation: Military Kids is the U.S. Army’s collaborative effort with America’s communities to support children and youth impacted by deployment. Regardless of whether Families are experiencing deployment for the first time, the second time or another in a series of multiple deployments, OMK’s goal is to connect military children and youth with local resources in order to achieve a sense of community support and enhance their well-being.
In 2009, over 150,000 youth participated in experiences conducted by State OMK Teams in 49 states and the District of Columbia. 945 Community members representing over 43 national, state and local organizations worked together utilizing core OMK program elements like those in the left menu to help school age children and youth through the deployment of a loved one. Through OMK, Military Youth:
· Meet other youth who are also experiencing deployment
· Participate in a range of recreational, social & educational programs
· Gain leadership, organizational, and technical skills by participating in the Speak Out for Military Kids program or Mobile Technology Lab programs
· Receive assistance with school issues by connecting with military kids.
· Attend single day, weekend or even longer residential camps