Alamo Rent a Car is a familiar brand that you see across the United States, whether at the airport or a franchise location in the city.
The company is one of the largest car rental providers in the country with over 250 locations.
Alamo also has foreign locations in parts of Europe, South America, Africa, and Oceania.
Can you get an Alamo military discount on your next car rental?
Yes! Alamo Rent a Car is proud to support the U.S. Military with a couple of different options. The military discount depends on if you are traveling on official orders or for leisure.
Alamo Military Discount – Multiple Options to Save Money!
The company has one of the more detailed pages dedicated to explaining its military discount of any rental car service.
Alamo explains that it has two different methods for obtaining a military discount:
A) Discount on Official Government Travel, and
B) Discount on Military Travel for Leisure.
Alamo Official Travel Military Discount
Alamo supports troops that need a rental car while on travel orders.
If you are traveling due to official government business or tour-of-duty orders, you will receive a number of terrific benefits:
- No additional driver fees for military personnel.
- No underage driver fees. The minimum age for on-duty military is 18 years old.
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) included with rental.
- Frequent Traveler benefits offered through Alamo’s travel partners.
- Over 550 participating worldwide locations to assist with active-duty travel.
Book Here! if you need to reserve a car rental for official military/government travel.
Alamo Leisure Travel Military Discount
Are you looking to getaway for a weekend?
Taking the family somewhere nice like Disneyland?
The Alamo military discount applies to leisure travel as well!
You can expect the following benefits for military personnel:
- Discounted rates for military personnel, including veterans.
- Military family members with dependent identification are also eligible.
- Frequent Traveler benefits offered through travel partners of Alamo.
- Over 550 participating worldwide locations for overseas travel.
Book Here! if you need to reserve a car rental for your next vacation.
How to Receive an Alamo Military Discount
The Alamo military discount is not a seasonal offer.
Alamo states that the discount is offered year round.
The amount of the discount will vary based on pick-up location, length of reservation, type of car rental, and other determinations.
Military personnel that has used the Alamo military discount in the past claim the savings usually equal about 5% off the final bill.
In order to receive the military discount you must be active-duty military, retired, or a veteran of the U.S. Military.
Alamo Rent a Car will also apply the military promo offer to eligible dependents with valid military issued identification.
Steps to Receive the Promo Offer:
- Step 1: Call 1-800-GO-ALAMO to get the process started. The alternative is to visit a franchise location in-person and speak with a representative.
- Step 2: Explain if the military discount needs to get applied to an official orders reservation or booking for leisure travel.
- Step 3: You can proceed to book the reservation over the phone or in-person. Or, you can ask for a promo code to use when you reserve a rental car online through the Alamo Government & Military page.
You will need to provide Alamo with a government issued credit card or official travel orders at the time of pick-up in order to receive the savings for travel on official orders. The location may also request a valid military ID.
Those traveling on leisure need to present a military ID at the pick-up location as well.
Also, the minimum age for an off-duty military rental is 21 years of age, compared to 18 for on-duty orders travel.
Furthermore, the rates could be higher for those under the age of 25.
Related Article: 9 Car Rental Military Discounts
Veterans Advantage Car Rental Discount
Veterans Advantage has an alliance with most of the major car rental providers in North America.
What is nice about the the Alamo military discount, compared to others like Avis, National Car Rental, and Budget Rent-A-Car is that you are not required to become a Veterans Advantage member in order to receive the discount.
It does cost money to have a VA membership.
The membership rates are reasonable yet are not appropriate for every service member and his or her family.
However, if you are already a member of Veterans Advantage (or are considering joining) we suggest you also browse what they have to offer in terms of an Avis military discount.
Veterans Advantage has some exclusive deals for military personnel that you would not find otherwise on the Internet.
Therefore, it is possible to save more with VA compared to dealing with Alamo directly.
Huge Selection of Cars with Alamo
Alamo is one of the largest car rental services in the United States, as well as the world. It has a gigantic fleet of vehicles.
The lineup also includes modern day features like fuel-efficient automobiles and eco-friendly rides like electric cars.
- Cars: Alamo has a large selection of cars including: economy, compact, midsize, standard, full-size, premium, convertible, luxury, hybrid, electric, sporty, and American muscle.
- SUVs: The lineup of SUVs is nearly as impressive as the fleet of cars: compact, midsize, standard, full-size, luxury, premium, crossover, and jeep.
- Vans: If you need to haul around a large family or friends, a van is the way to go! Alamo has 7-passenger, 8-passenger, 12-passenger, 15-passenger, and cargo vans available to rent.
- Trucks: The truck selection is far more limited. It includes two versions: standard pickup and pickups with extended cab.
Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Alamo military discount:
Related Article – Hertz Military Discount: Discounts For Government Workers And More
How does the Alamo military discount compare to other car rentals?
The Alamo military discount is comparable to Enterprise Rent-A-Car and Hertz.
Car rental services have a habit of not disclosing the exact amount of savings based on a military discount.
It depends on the factors designated in the reservation such as pick-up/drop-off location, length needed, and type of car.
However, Alamo has a better military discount in our opinion compared to others like Avis and Budget Rent-A-Car because you don’t have to pay money and be a member of Veterans Advantage to get the discount.
What is the best way to reserve a car with Alamo Rent a Car to make sure I get the discount?
We recommend calling them at 1-800-GO-ALAMO.
It’s the most convenient option as you can speak with a live agent to determine exactly how much you will save, and if it’s the best deal out there for those on a tight budget.
We also recommend that you visit their website to browse locations in the U.S. and worldwide, as well as view the many different types of vehicles available.
It will give you a good idea as to what you need, and what the standard rate is being offered online prior to speaking with a rep from Alamo.
Do you have to be a member of Veterans Advantage to receive a military discount?
No. Alamo Rent a Car is different from Avis, National Car Rental, and Budget Rent-A-Car in that you don’t have to enroll in a membership with Veterans Advantage in order to get some type of savings.
It’s a nice feature though if you have the extra cash and spend a lot of money online, we suggest considering the 30-day trial for just $4.95.
The Alamo military discount can get you savings on both travel based on orders or for leisure.
Alamo doesn’t specifically tell you how much you will save on each type of travel.
You will need to contact them at 1-800-GO-ALAMO for more details.
Previous customers that were active-duty military report the savings are usually around 5% for leisure trips.
Born and raised in Woodbridge, NJ, he graduated from the New Jersey Institute Of Technology with an MBA in eCommerce.His hobbies include beach volleyball, target shooting, and lifting.
Rob is also a commercially rated pilot with over 1,500 hours of flight time.
Latest posts by Rob V. (see all)
- Army Culinary Specialist (MOS 92G): Career Details - December 14, 2019
- SIG Sauer Military Discount - December 13, 2019
- Glock Military Discount - December 13, 2019