Alaska is a large state, but it only has three Army bases within its borders, one of which is a joint military base with the US Air Force.
Each of the Army bases in Alaska shares a common mission of providing both training and ready forces for unified land operations. They also support the USINDOPACOM, providing both stability and security.
When needed, the Army bases in Alaska also support the Homeland Defense and Defense Support of Civil Authorities in Alaska.
Below is a brief rundown of each base in this state. The links to each base’s official website are available if you’d like to learn more about a specific installation.
Location: Wainwright, Alaska
In Use: 1935- Present
Overall Mission: All Alaskan Army bases carry the same mission as stated above, but this base specifically focuses on training its units for deployment in infantry, combat, aviation, and medical positions.
- 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team
- 25th Infantry Division
- USARAK Aviation Task Force
- Medical Department Activity- Alaska
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/alaska/index.php/fort-wainwright
Related Article – Military Bases In California
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
In Use: 1942- Present
Overall Mission: This base “integrates resources and delivers installation services” to its units, while also providing an excellent quality of life for its soldiers, families, and surrounding community.
- Midcourse Missile Defense
- Cold Regions Test Center
- Ground-Base Midcourse Defense
- 49th Missile Defense Battalion
- 59th Signal Battalion
- Army and Air Force Exchange Service
- Defense Commissary Agency
- Logistics Readiness Center
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/alaska/index.php/fort-greely/about
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
In Use: 1941- Present (Previously an Air Force Base, beginning in 1884)
Overall Mission: This installation serves as a joint base for Army and Air force units, providing a wide variety of training types.
- US Army Alaska units
- Air Force units
- Alaska Army National Guard units
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/alaska/index.php/fort-richardson-jber
- 10 Best Tactical Foregrips For 2021 (Vertical & Angled) - October 14, 2021
- ASVAB For Dummies Review: Is It Worth It? - October 10, 2021
- What Percentage Of The Military Sees Combat? - October 10, 2021