The 11 General Orders of the sentry are something that every recruit will have embedded in their head when they leave boot camp.
If you’ve ever seen the movie ‘Full Metal Jacket’, you were exposed to those orders when Gunny questions Private Pyle on the 5th general order.
It’s a really good idea to learn the 11 general orders before you reach basic training, because you will be tested on them from time to time.
Click Here for a printable PDF of these orders.
Here are the general orders for each branch of the military:
Army / Air Force General Orders
1. I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.
2. I will obey my special orders and perform all my duties in a military manner.
3. I will report violations of my special orders, emergencies, and any thing not covered in my instructions to the commander of the relief.
Navy / Marine Corps / Coast Guard General Orders
1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.
2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.
5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.
6. To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Petty Officers of the Watch only.
7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
9. To call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.
10. To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
11. To be especially watchful at night, and, during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.
Related Article: Navy SEAL Creed / Ethos