There are a total of twelve active military bases in Maryland. They are primarily Army and Navy bases, but the Air Force has a presence in the state as well.
The Coast Guard and Marines do not have bases in the state.
Army Bases In Maryland
Aberdeen Proving Ground
Location: Aberdeen, MD
In Use: 1917-Present
Overall Mission: Aberdeen proving ground is a key research, development, testing and evaluation site.
Numerous scientists, engineers, and researchers are stationed at the base.
It is the oldest operational proving ground in the US, and played a major role in testing munitions for the US Army heading into WWI.
At over 114 square miles in size, it also happens to be the largest military base in Maryland.
- Edgewood Arsenal
- Adelphi Laboratory Center
- The Army Reserve Information Operations Command
- Unified Cross Domain Services Management Office
- HQ, U.S. Army Contracting Command
- S Army 93rd Signal Network – Network Enterprise Center
- Logistics Readiness Center
- S. Army Cyber Operation Group – 335th Signal Command
- Blossom Point Research Facility
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/apg/index.php
Related Article – Military Bases In Arizona
Location: Frederick, MD
In Use: 1931-Present
Overall Mission: Fort Detrick is an Army Medical installation.
The base conducts research and development of biomedical technology.
Until 2019, Fort Detrick was also a research site for germ warfare.
The US Department of Homeland Security also conducts security operations out of the base.
- S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
- 114th Signal Battalion
- 21st Signal Brigade
- 302nd Signal Battalion
- 6th Medical Logistics Management Center
- Company A, 53rd Signal Battalion
- Air Force Medical Logistics Office
- Air Force Medical Support Agency, Global Medical Support Training and Exercises
- National Center for Medical Intelligence
- Chemical Biological Medical Systems
- 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 4th Marine Division
- 301st Signal Company
- Joint Medical Logistics Functional Development Center
- Joint Readiness Clinical Advisory Board
- Naval Medical Logistics Command
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/detrick/index.php
Location: Odenton, MD
In Use: 1917-Present
Overall Mission: Fort Meade has existed in various forms since 1917, first as Camp Annapolis Junction, then Fort Wood, and was renamed as Fort Meade in 1930.
It is the base for several security and defense operations including the NSA.
It is also a storage facility for the Library of Congress.
- 1st Medical Recruiting Battalion
- 308th Military Intelligence Battalion
- 32nd Civil Support Team
- 3rd Training Support Battalion
- 48th Combat Support Hospital
- 55th Signal Company
- 704th Military Intelligence Brigade
- 70th Intelligence Wing
- 902nd Military Intelligence Group
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/meade/index.php
Related Article – US Military Bases In Germany
Navy Bases In Maryland
NAS Patuxent River
Location: Lexington Park, MD
In Use: 1943-Present
Overall Mission: Naval Air Station Patuxent River is the site of NAVAIR headquarters.
It performs testing and evaluations of Naval air systems.
It is also home to a test and training pilot school.
- Naval Air Systems Command
- S. Naval Test Pilot School
- Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 1
- Scientific Development Squadron 1
- Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 20
- Rotary Wing Test Squadron 21
- Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 23
Location: Annapolis, MD
In Use: 1911-Present
Overall Mission: NSA Annapolis has been a major facility for the US Navy since 1911.
It’s current operations involve supporting the Annapolis Naval Academy.
Related Article – US Navy Bases In Japan
NSF Indian Head
Location: Indian Head, MD
In Use: 1890-Present
Overall Mission: NSF Indian Head is responsible for researching, developing, testing, evaluating, and producing energetics, which includes explosives, and propellants.
Their primary mission is responding to new threats and challenges that may be encountered on the battlefield.
Half of the personnel stationed at the base are scientists and engineers.
NSF Indian Head is also considered the smallest military base in Maryland.
Location: Thurmont, MD
In Use: 1935-Present
Overall Mission: Naval Support Facility Thurmont is the official name for Camp David, which is the presidential country retreat.
The base is operated and staffed by the US Navy and Marine Corps.
NSF Thurmont does not currently perform any military operations.
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Location: Bethesda, MD
In Use: 1940-Present
Overall Mission: Walter Reed National Military Medical Center is a multi-service military hospital and medical research center.
In 2011, the National Naval Medical Center was combined with the Walter Reed Army Medical Center to form the current medical center.
It is the headquarters for the Joint Task Force National Capital Region/Medical center, which oversees most major military medical facilities in the US.
Official Site: https://tricare.mil/mtf/walterreed
Related Article – Military Bases In Florida
US Naval Academy
Location: Annapolis, MD
In Use: 1845-Present
Overall Mission: The US Naval Academy, commonly known as Annapolis, trains commissioned officers for the US Navy and Marine Corps.
It is one of five academies that train officers for the various branches of the US Military, and the second oldest currently in operations.
Official Site: https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php
Air Force Bases In Maryland
Joint Base Andrews
Location: Camp Springs, MD
In Use: 1942-Present
Overall Mission: Joint Base Andrews, formerly Andrews Air Force Base, is Joint Army and Air Force Base currently under the control of the Air Force.
It plays a major role in emergency readiness, including keeping aircraft in rotation for emergency response, and evacuation of high level figures.
- 316th Wing
- 844th Communications Group
- Eighteenth Air Force
- Fourth Air Force
- 113th Wing
- 4th Marine Aircraft Wing
Official Site: https://www.jba.af.mil/
Related Article – Military Bases In Hawaii
Warfield ANG Base
Location: Baltimore, MD
In Use: 1929-Present
Overall Mission: Warfield ANG Base is an Air National Guard base within Martin State Airport in Baltimore.
It houses the 175th wing of the Air National Guard.
It’s primary role is to provide support during natural disasters and other emergencies.
- 175th Wing ANG
Official Site: https://www.175wg.ang.af.mil/
- How To Pass The ASVAB: 3 Steps To Get A Great Score - October 18, 2021
- 16 Best BB Guns For 2021 (Most Powerful & Accurate) - October 17, 2021
- 10 Best Tactical Foregrips For 2021 (Vertical & Angled) - October 14, 2021