There are a total of 11 active military bases or installations in Maryland. They are primarily Army and Navy bases, but the Air Force has a presence in the state as well.
The Coast Guard and Marines do not have bases in the state.
Army Bases In Maryland
Aberdeen Proving Ground
Location: Aberdeen, MD
In Use: 1917-Present
Overall Mission: Aberdeen Proving Ground is a key research, development, testing, and evaluation site.
Numerous scientists, engineers, and researchers are stationed at the base.
It is the oldest operational proving ground in the US and played a major role in testing munitions for the US Army heading into WWI.
At over 114 square miles in size, it also happens to be the largest military base in Maryland.
- 1st Area Medical Laboratory (1st AML)
- 20th CBRNE Command
- 203rd Military Intelligence Battalion
- U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC)
- CCDC Army Research Laboratory
- CCDC Chemical Biological Center
- U.S. Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground
- U.S. Army Chemical Materials Activity (CMA)
- U.S. Army Communications and Electronics Command (CECOM)
- Defense Logistics Agency (DLA)
- Kirk U.S. Army Health Clinic (KUSAHC)
- Maryland Army National Guard (MDARNG)
- U.S. Army Test and Evaluation Command (ATEC)
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/apg/index.php
Related Article – Military Bases In Arizona
Location: Frederick, MD
In Use: 1931-Present
Overall Mission: Fort Detrick is an Army Medical installation.
The base conducts research and development of biomedical technology.
Until 2019, Fort Detrick was also a research site for germ warfare.
The US Department of Homeland Security also conducts security operations out of the base.
- 6th Medical Logistics Management Center
- 21st Signal Brigade
- 302nd Signal Battalion
- Air Force Medical Readiness Agency
- Barquist Army Health Clinic
- Integrated Research Facility: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Naval Medical Research Command
- National Interagency Confederation for Biological Research
- US Army Medical Research and Development Command
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/detrick/index.php
Location: Fort Meade, MD
In Use: 1917-Present
Overall Mission: Fort Meade has existed in various forms since 1917, first as Camp Annapolis Junction, then Fort Leonard Wood, and was then renamed Fort Meade in 1930.
It is the base for several security and defense operations including the National Security Agency (NSA).
It is also a storage facility for the Library of Congress.
- U.S. Cyber Command
- 1st Medical Recruiting Battalion
- 3rd Training Support Brigade
- 7th Signal Command
- 32nd Civil Support Team
- 48th Combat Support Hospital
- 55th Signal Command
- 70th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- 200th Military Police Command
- 308th Military Intelligence Battalion
- 352nd Civil Affairs Command
- 704th Military Intelligence Brigade
- 780th Military Intelligence Brigade
- 902nd Military Intelligence Group
- Joint Regional Medical Plans & Operations Branch, Northeast
- Marine Cryptologic Support Battalion
- U.S. Navy Cryptologic Warfare Group 6
Official Site: https://home.army.mil/meade/index.php
Related Article – US Military Bases In Germany
Navy Bases In Maryland
Naval Air Station Patuxent River
Location: Lexington Park, MD
In Use: 1943-Present
Overall Mission: NAS Patuxent River is the site of Naval Systems Command (NAVAIR) headquarters, which provides materiel support and testing and evaluations of Naval air and weapons systems.
It is also home to the Navy Test Pilot School and the Atlantic Test Range.
- Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR)
- Naval Air Warfare Center – Aircraft Division (NAWCAD)
- Fifth Coast Guard District
- Marine Aviation Detachment
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Washington
- Naval Criminal Investigative Service Regional Office
- U.S. Naval Test Pilot School
- Naval Test Wing Atlantic
- Scientific Development Squadron 1
- Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 1
- Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 20
- Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 23
- Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 21
- Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 24
Official Site: https://ndw.cnic.navy.mil/Installations/NAS-Patuxent-River/
Naval Support Activity Annapolis
Location: Annapolis, MD
In Use: 1911-Present
Overall Mission: NSA Annapolis has been a major facility for the US Navy since 1911.
It was the home of the first Naval Air Station, but its current operations involve supporting the Annapolis Naval Academy.
Official Site: https://ndw.cnic.navy.mil/Installations/NSA-Annapolis/
Related Article – US Navy Bases In Japan
Naval Support Facility Indian Head
Location: Indian Head, MD
In Use: 1890-Present
Overall Mission: NSF Indian Head is responsible for researching, developing, testing, evaluating, and producing explosives, propellants, and pyrotechnics.
Their primary mission is responding to new threats and challenges that may be encountered on the battlefield.
Half of the personnel stationed at the base are scientists and engineers.
NSF Indian Head is also considered the smallest military base in Maryland.
Naval Support Facility Thurmont
Location: Thurmont, MD
In Use: 1935-Present
Overall Mission: NSF Thurmont is the official name for Camp David, which is the presidential country retreat.
The base is operated and staffed by the US Navy and Marine Corps.
NSF Thurmont does not currently perform any military operations.
Official Site: https://ndw.cnic.navy.mil/Installations/NSF-Thurmont/
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Location: Bethesda, MD
In Use: 1940-Present
Overall Mission: Walter Reed National Military Medical Center is a multi-service military hospital and medical research center.
In 2011, the National Naval Medical Center was combined with the Walter Reed Army Medical Center to form the current medical center.
It is the headquarters for the National Capital Region Medical Directorate, which oversees most major military medical facilities along the Eastern Seaboard.
Official Site: https://tricare.mil/mtf/walterreed
Related Article – Military Bases In Florida
US Naval Academy
Location: Annapolis, MD
In Use: 1845-Present
Overall Mission: The US Naval Academy, commonly known as Annapolis, trains commissioned officers for the US Navy and Marine Corps.
It is one of five federal service academies that train officers for the various branches of the US Military, and the second oldest currently in operations.
Official Site: https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php
Air Force Bases In Maryland
Joint Base Andrews
Location: Camp Springs, MD
In Use: 1942-Present
Overall Mission: Joint Base Andrews, formerly Andrews Air Force Base, is a Joint Air Force and Navy Base currently under the control of the Air Force.
It plays a major role in emergency readiness, including keeping aircraft in rotation for emergency response, and evacuation of high-level figures.
- 316th Wing
- 89th Airlift Wing
- 844th Communications Group
- 113th Wing (D.C. Air National Guard)
- 459th Air Refueling Wing, USAF Reserves
- U.S. Air Force District of Washington
- ANG Readiness Center
- Naval Air Facility Washington, D.C.
- Andrews Composite Squadron, Civil Air Patrol
Official Site: https://www.jba.af.mil/
Related Article – Military Bases In Hawaii
Warfield ANG Base
Location: Middle River, MD
In Use: 1929-Present
Overall Mission: Warfield ANG Base is an Air National Guard base within Martin State Airport in Baltimore.
It houses the 175th Wing of the Air National Guard.
Its primary role is to provide support during natural disasters and other emergencies.
- 175th Wing ANG
- 235th Civil Engineer Flight ANG
Official Site: https://www.175wg.ang.af.mil/
- TPU Army Meaning In 2023: 4 Things To Know - September 15, 2023
- 14 Military TV Shows Worth Watching In 2023 - September 15, 2023
- Marine Raiders (MARSOC) vs. Navy SEALS: 6 Differences - September 10, 2023