The United States military has a fairly large number of installments in Japan, five of which are US Navy bases.
The history of US Navy bases in Japan varies greatly from site to site. Two of the Navy bases shown below were founded in the late 1800s.
One was founded around the time of the second world war, one around Vietnam, and one in the early 1970s.
The diverse history shows that each base was started to fulfill a specific need.
From import to departure and everything in between, the US Navy has many jobs to fill throughout its 5 bases in Japan.
Check out some information on each Navy base in Japan, its past, and what it does today below:
1. US Navy Headquarters: Yokosuka
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
In Use: 1870- Present
Overall Mission: The US Fleet Activities Yokosuka base is the Navy’s main headquarters in Japan.
The base provides logistics, recreational, and administrative support to Naval units stationed in the country.
- United States Seventh Fleet
- US Naval Hospital Yokosuka
Official Site: https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrj/installations/cfa_yokosuka.html
Related Article – Military Bases in Florida
2. US Navy Base Fleet Activities: Sasebo
Location: Sasebo, Japan
In Use: 1889- Present
Overall Mission: This base works to “enable forward deployed US and ally forces while providing superior support to their families.”
- Commander Amphibious Squadron 11
- Commander Mine Countermeasure Squadron 7
Official Site: https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrj/installations/cfa_sasebo.html
3. US Naval Air Facility: Atsugi
Location: Atsugi, Japan
In Use: 1938-1945, 1950- Present
Overall Mission: This base’s mission is to provide combat readiness to all units and tenants of the Western Pacific.
- Maritime Self Defense Force
- Helicopter Maritime Strike Quadron 51 Warlords
- Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 77 Saberhawks
- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 12 Golden Falcon
- Fleet Readiness Center Western Pacific
Official Site: https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrj/installations/naf_atsugi.html/
4. US Navy Base Misawa Air and Submarine Patrol
Location: Misawa, Japan
In Use: 1972- Present
Overall Mission: This Navy base works in conjunction with the US Air Force to provide support to deployed units in and around Japan, as well as to provide a challenging, rewarding, and culturally rich experience to all who serve there.
- Naval Air Force Pacific Commander
- Cany Installations Commander
- Task Force 72
Official Site: https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrj/installations/naf_misawa.html
Related Article – Military Bases in Texas
5. White Beach Naval Facility
Location: White Beach Area, Japan
In Use: 1957- Present
Overall Mission: This is a port base, and it serves as the main departure site for utility landing craft and air-cushioned landing vehicles to leave Japan with troops, vehicles, or supplies. They also respond to humanitarian, disaster relief, and combat needs.
- Commander Amphibious Group 1
Official Site: https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrj/installations/cfa_okinawa/om/Port_Services.html
- 12 USMC Ribbons Explained - March 15, 2023
- 9 Best Handguns for Seniors in 2023 - March 14, 2023
- 7 Best .380 Pistols For 2023 - March 7, 2023